The city's Leader Orders Probe into Tragic Fire that Claimed Lives of 151
The city's chief executive, John Lee, has directed the formation of an autonomous task force to examine the reasons of a tragic inferno that killed at least 151 individuals.
A Blaze of Unprecedented Scale
On Wednesday last week, most of the residential blocks at the estate—that was in the midst of major refurbishment—were engulfed by fire. A probe subsequently revealed that safety scaffolding mesh installed on the buildings did not comply with flame retardant standards.
At least 13 people have been detained on suspicion of alleged culpable homicide, including the directors of a building firm.
"Yes, it is a tragedy, the fire was immense. Changes are required. Yes, we have identified failures in different stages. Hence we must respond rigorously to make certain all these gaps are eliminated," stated the leader.
Investigation and Aftermath
The inferno—that propagated rapidly both upwards and across the separate towers—was finally put out by Friday morning, around 40 hours after it began, and required in excess of 2,000 fire service personnel to contain.
That very day, police began entering the buildings to gather evidence. Authorities say the investigation could take approximately a month.
Shortcomings Uncovered
Several residents have reported they failed to hear a emergency siren when the blaze started. Hong Kong's fire service determined that alarms in all eight blocks were not working effectively.
The relevant regulatory body has temporarily suspended renovation projects on 30 private projects.
Calls for Inquiry and Arrests
Additionally, authorities are said to have arrested a individual on charges related to sedition on Saturday. He was among a group petitioning for an independent inquiry into the fire. An digital signature drive amassed in excess of 10,000 endorsements in under 24 hours before its information was removed.
Two other people, among them a ex-local representative, were also detained by officers, according to news outlets.
International Reaction
The rights group and Human Rights Watch have both condemned the said apprehensions.
"This is the occasion for the local government to openly examine the causes of the devastating fire...as opposed to silencing those who pose valid inquiries," remarked the group.
Background and Resident Profile
Wang Fuk Court was built in 1983 and had offered 1,984 apartments for approximately 4,600 inhabitants, per a 2021 government census.
Nearly 40% of its occupants are estimated to be older than 65 years of age. Several have lived in the government-supported development since it was built.
Hong Kong's second-deadliest fire on record claimed 176 individuals in the mid-20th century and was triggered by a blast on the lower level at a commercial building. The deadliest was at a local racetrack in 1918, when more than 600 attendees perished.